.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Saturday, July 16, 2005

 

Haftorah of Balak

O My people, remember what Balak king of Moad devised, and what Balaam the son Beor answered him; the events from Shittim to Gilgal, so that you may know G_d's righteous acts.

With what shall I come before G_d, and bow myself before G_d on high? Shall I come before Him with burnt offerings, with year-old calves?

Will G_d be pleased with thousands of rams, with ten thousands of rivers of oil? Shall I give my first-born for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?

He has told you, O man, what is good, and what G_d requires of you: Only to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your G_d. --translated by Rabbi Aryeh Kaplan, ztz'l.

Comments:
Thank you for your always uplifting comments on my blog and about my blog. Wow.

You are so right. 'Simple offerings' fits so well with the haftarah, which I did not read till Saturday. Coincidence?

Anyway, that's a lovely interpretation offered here. I'm just surprised you did not offer a comment of your own!

Kol hakavod!
 
I had the privilege of reading the Haftarah this Shabbat from the Bimah. That is one of my all-time favorite verses.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?